Beauty sleep has lately became a trend, and there is actually a good reason for it. We spend one third of our lives sleeping, and sleep is actually the time when our bodies can heal and repair themselves, including taking care of skin and hair. Don’t waste this time, and use it wisely to improve your beauty during the night and wake up looking like a beauty queen.
Adjust your daily routines
If you truly want to get the most of your beauty sleep, you have to spend a decent amount of time preparing for it.
- Don’t drink coffee 8 hours before bed. First, it interferes with your sleeping cycle and steals your precious hours of good night’s sleep. Second, coffee strongly dehydrates your body, which is definitely something you don’t want to do in a desire to get a great beauty sleep, so…
- Stay hydrated during the day. Try to drink a proper amount of water or green tea (but of course don’t force yourself to drinking when you don’t feel like it). Water helps your body to maintain its condition, and drinking it during the day is also great for your skin at night.
- Not only that exercising is good for your overall health and fitness, but it will also exhaust your body during the day, so it will be easier for you to fall asleep in the evening. However, remember to avoid physical activity 3 hours before you go to bed because it will actually keep you awake longer.
- Avoid alcohol close to bedtime. Alcohol beverages dehydrate your body, which restrains it from effectively healing itself. As a result, drinking alcohol close before your bedtime will make you wake up in the middle of the night to drink some water. In addition, alcohol doesn’t let your brain reach the stages of deep sleep, where it actually does the most important work for refreshing your body.
- Avoid eating heavy foods 3 hours before you go to bed. It will keep your digestion going and make you stay awake longer.
- Stop using gadgets 2 hours before your sleep. First, the screens of your laptop or smartphone radiate the blue light, which suppresses the production of melatonin and keeps you awake longer, thus stealing the necessary amount of hours you need for a proper night’s sleep. Second, the notifications, messages, and updates keep you alert and stressed out, while the key element for a good beauty sleep is relaxation. Turn your brain off the social media and remember that all messages will go nowhere until tomorrow morning.
- Make sure you don’t drink too much water before bedtime. For sure, staying hydrates is important, but you also have to make sure you don’t drink too much liquids before you go to bed because journeys to the bathroom in the middle of the night are never good, as they disrupt your sleep.
Start preparing for your beauty sleep before bedtime
- Take a hot shower. I mentioned earlier that relaxation is a key for a great beauty sleep, so try to always keep this in mind. Hot shower or bath is a great way to relax before your bedtime because it helps your muscles to rest after a busy day and makes your mind wonder off the issues you worry about.
- Add bath salt to your bath. In case you want to reach even higher levels of relaxation, using bath salt or some bath foam will also be a great choice.
- Wash your face. During the day, your face collects dust and dirt. Needless to say that it also produces sweat and fat, and it will definitely be not the best choice to sleep with all of these things on your skin. In addition, remember to always remove your make-up before you go to bed because keeping it on makes your skin age faster, and you definitely don’t want that.
- Use a moisturizer. After you made yourself fresh and clean, apply some moisturizer on your face and hands. Keeping your skin hydrated not only from the inside but also from the outside is great for maintaining its natural pH level. Moreover, a thin layer of moisturizer will create an extra protection from the harmful impacts of the environment for your skin. Remember: air is really dry during winter times, so try to provide your skin some additional support when it‘s cold outside.
- Do something relaxing. Right before bed try to relax yourself even more: read a book, do some yoga, meditate, write in your journal. Basically, it can be anything that will help you forget about your problems and get ready to have a great beauty sleep.
Make sure you sleep right
- Sleep no less than 7 hours a night. We already covered how critical sleeping less than 7 hours a night can be for your health, but it is also awful four your beauty. First, it creates these ugly-looking dark circles under your eyes. Second, it doesn’t give your body a proper amount of time to rest, so you will wake up tired and grumpy. Last, sleep helps your body to produce the human growth hormone, which repairs your hair and skin, while lack of sleep takes this opportunity away from you.
- Try to sleep on your back. Sleeping on a side is more natural for the majority of people, but it makes the skin of your face to crease, which increases the chance of creating wrinkles. If you are a side sleeper, be prepared to get these wrinkles which go from the side of your nose to the side of your mouth pretty early because this is exactly what you encourage when sleeping in this position. In order to avoid such unpleasant consequences, try sleeping on your back because it assures you that your face doesn’t touch the pillow.
- Make sure your head it slightly higher than your whole body. Sleeping on a low pillow or even without a pillow at all makes the water in your body go straight up to your face, which can cause puffiness in the morning. If you want to avoid it, try choosing a higher pillow, which will help your body keep the liquids off your face.
- Mind your hair. It’s no rare when you wake up in the morning and your head looks like there has been an explosion on it at some time during the night because your hair points at every possible direction. Great news, there is a solution for it: you should just put your hair in a loose ponytail for the night, and it will keep you have fewer troubles with it in the morning.
Moreover, it would be a great decision to apply an overnight conditioner to help it look even better when you wake up. There is another trick: if you washed your hair in the evening, make some braids for the night. It will help you create some pretty waves.
Improve your bedroom for a true beauty sleep
- Make sure you have a right mattress and pillow. They should support your body when you sleep and make your overnight’s rest as comfy as possible, so you wake up well-rested and good-looking. In addition, right mattress will help you form a beautiful posture.
- Use your bed only for sleeping and occasional sex, of course. Try to avoid working on your bed because it will frustrate your brain and make it harder to understand, whether this place is for rest or for work.
- Keep your bed sheets clean. Not only that it is good for the general hygiene, but it will also keep the dirt and microbes away from your skin.
- Prefer satin or silk pillowcases. They will create a smoother connection between your skin and the fabric, which would prevent your skin from creasing and thus protects you from getting the wrinkles.
- Do not underestimate essential oils. They are perfect for creating a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere in your bedroom, which will help you get the most of your night’s rest and wake up fresh and well rested.
It’s no secret that sleep is essential for maintaining a healthy living, but it is also great to improve your appearance and help you always look great. Use our tips, and you will always get the best out of your beauty sleep.